Yoga & Hot Yoga
Yoga means "union", although many people think this term refers to union between body and mind or body, mind and spirit, the traditional acceptance is union between one's individual consciousness and the Universal Consciousness.
For more information on the spiritual side of yoga, please go to www.sivananda.org.
Hot Yoga is a series of yoga poses done in a heated room usually maintained at a temperature of 95-100 degrees.
Regular exercisers recognize that peak performance occurs when the body is fully warmed up and your body generates heat from the inside radiating out and into your muscles. The temperature of the yoga room is similar to our body's own temperature. This accelerates improvement in many of the benefits of your yoga practice. Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow for greater flexibility with less chance of injury and improved resolution of injury. Sweating promotes detoxification and elimination through the skin. Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout. Make sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after class so you don't get dehydrated.
We offer many different hot yoga class, refer to our schedule and descriptions for more details.
- Your body burns fat more effectively, fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimeters of shape in a very short time
- The heat produces a fluid-like stretch allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
- Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
- Your peripheral circulation improves due to enhanced perfusion of your extremities
- Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
- You benefit from a strengthening of willpower, self control, concentration and determination in this challenging environment
- Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout
- Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow for greater flexibility with less chance of injury and improved resolution of injury
- Sweating promotes detoxification and elimination through the skin - which is the body's largest eliminating organ
- Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room will assist in improving T-cell function and the proper functioning of your immune system
- Your nervous system function is greatly improved and messages are carried more efficiently to and from your brain
- Metabolism improves in your digestive system and in the body's cells (that is food in the gut and nutrients in the cells)
Hot Yoga Policies & Procedures
Please refer to the below information to help ensure the safety and enjoyment of all members.
- Participants must obtain a ticket from the front desk before entering the Studio
- Participants will need to bring their own yoga mat and towel (no ORC towel service)
- All Group Fitness participants must be 16 years or older
- Please respect the yoga studio & fellow participants by keeping voices quiet
- Refrain from wearing perfume/cologne
- Drink plenty of water before, during & after HOT YOGA classes
- Be mindful of your body’s individual range of motion to avoid overstretching
- All participants with medical conditions as well as women who are pregnant (or suspect pregnancy) need to obtain medical clearance & advise instructor for appropriate guidance
- People with high or low blood pressure should not practice Hot Yoga without medical permission
- Absolutely no cell phones
- Please leave your shoes outside
- No late admittance